Thursday 3 January 2013

Waitangi again and a walk to Haruru Falls

Today's was the highlight walk of the trip and warm and sunny all day.

 

I took the ferry to Paihia and walked along the coast to Waitangi. I'd so much enjoyed our trip here the day before, that I wanted to come back.

 

I then followed the long track from Waitangi to Haruru Falls, which first goes through fairly dense woodlands...

 

 

 

... crosses the Waitangi river...

 

 

 

... goes through an extensive mangrove swamp...

 

 

 

 

...through bamboos...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

...back alongside the Waitangi river...

 

 

 

 

 

...and eventually to Haruru falls. Not high but a good horseshoe shape and a good target for the walk.

 

Then all the way back through woodland and bamboos and across river and swamp to Waitangi where, after a well needed lunch, I looked round again before walking back to Paihia for the ferry to Russell.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment