Wednesday 19 December 2012

To Picton and some misadventures

We woke early to a beautiful sunny morning and I went for a walk through the pretty park-like areas of the town.

Again we decided to have breakfast on route and I drove off from our hotel just before 9.00. I'd been driving about 40 minutes when Clodagh remembered that we had forgotten to pack some clothes hanging up in a wardrobe.

 

 

 

So I drove back to the hotel, by which time we needed breakfast and had it at a small cafe in the sunshine. It was gone 11.00 before we left Hanmer Springs.

Lyall drove us back over the route we'd already been after which we started to climb and then drove through beautiful countryside. We wound round hills...

 

 

...and down into valleys.

The sun shone and we had a most enjoyable drive to Kaikoura on the coast.

 

 

 

 

I took over the driving along the coast road, which again was delightful but it was through one of the small towns that our second mishap occurred. I was stopped by the police for having sped through a 50k limit zone at 68k and incurred a $120 fine.

I drove more slowly on to the St Clair Winery, where Lyall bought us a snack lunch and a glass of their very good Sauvignon Blanc.

 

Then a short trip on to Picton. Our hotel room was described as having an 'ocean view', which it had but some way off.

 

 

 

 

I took a walk along the front and to the large marina before our evening meal.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment