Friday 7 December 2012

Wanaka

Denise drove us first south from Dunedin and the north-west soon following the valley of the Clutha River. After nearly 3 hours driving we stopped at Alexandra for a snack lunch and then on following the Clutha. This is the fastest river of New Zealand and its force is used for hydroelectric power. We soon came across the dam and beyond it Lake Dunstan, which it has created.

We followed the long lakeside to Cromwell where another river converges. The town had to be reconfigured due to the raised water created by the dam lower down. Where there were two relatively narrow rivers joining, there is now a large expanse of water burying the old town bridge.

As we drove on the weather deteriorated and sadly the mountains were shrouded in low cloud. We drove on through showers of rain and reached Wanaka mid afternoon.

Our hotel is about 3k up from the centre of town in a beautiful spot backed by the mountains. Denise went off to one of the hotel's hot pools while I walked down to the town and found a pleasant bar where I had a beer. Clodagh and Denise joined me later for dinner in town.

The morning's weather was no more promising with occasional showers but I donned my shorts and cagoul and set off on a walk down to the lake and along its shore.

 

 

 

There is a well maintained track through the trees and shrubs.

 

 

 

 

 

The lake is lined with willows interspersed with wild lupins.

 

 

 

 

 

I passed the large Rippon vineyard

 

 

 

and walked on to and crossed Waterfall Creek.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Up on to rising ground and looked back along the lake to Wanaka. I then returned there to meet up with Clodagh and Denise for lunch, which I much enjoyed after about a good 10k walk.

 

Back at the hotel I joined Denise in one of the hot pools for a relaxing dip. I then walked back down to town for a beer at what was becoming a favourite spot. What a lovely place Wanaka is and would be even better in the sunshine. Again the ladies joined me later and we went off for a Thai supper.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment